Inspections & Planning

Rental Housing Provisions & Fees

Effective April 1, 2013, the City of Huron enforced Rental Housing Provisions and Application and Fees (PDF). Questions may be directed to the City Inspection Office at 605-353-8512.


The city's Inspections Department is responsible for issuing building permits and monitoring the progress of residential and commercial building projects to ensure compliance with adopted codes and standards. Inspects all Businesses within the city requiring grease traps. Performs health inspections of homes and rental property, if requested.


The City Planner is the staff member primarily responsible for the administration of the City Zoning Ordinance and the Huron Comprehensive Plan. In the areas of planning and zoning, the planner is responsible to handle requests and questions regarding future planning, permitted land uses, required landscaping, site development, preliminary and final plats, and required parking. The Planner assists with questions and applications for variances, conditional use permits, and home occupations. The Planner assists the City Engineer in the administration of the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance and the Subdivision Ordinance.

The Planner is responsible to ensure that the Zoning Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan are accurate and current.

The City Planner is the primary staff person for the City Planning Commission and the Huron Board of Historic Preservation.

Code Enforcement

The Inspections office will receive and investigate all nuisances properly submitted either by phone or letter. We must ask for the correct address, area of the property where the infraction is located (front, back, side yard, or boulevard). The complaint will be verified and the property owner or occupant will be notified once a season by phone call, letter, or by posting the property with the specified time to rectify the infraction. If the problem has not been rectified in the allotted time, the inspections' office will make all arrangements to abate the nuisance. Costs plus a graduated non-compliance fee of $50 to $200 will be billed to the property owner. Payment of non-compliance fees will be arranged through the City Finance Office. You may appeal the inspection officer's determination by contacting the City Finance Office in writing within 10 days of the posting.

View All